Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Blessing In The Craziness


It was one of those days when I really thought God has somehow mistaken me as someone capable of being a mother. By the third food spill and the eighth tug-of-war argument over some toy that had not been touched in a year, I was ready to crawl under my blankets and await the storm of motherhood to pass. Austin has quickly realized how to antagonize Andrew and Andrew has garnered the talent for provoking little brother all resulting in a whirlwind of craziness.
Exasperated, I just closed my eyes and waited for the morning to pass. It did. For those who are parents, there is no need to explain that even the hardest of days does not challenge the depth of love you have for your children.
I was reminded of that driving home the other day when a radio station was having a "radiothon" for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. No, surprise where this is going. The stories were heart-wrenching and left you ready to empty your bank account right there to help some child you didn’t even know. It took all of two minutes to cry and I continued my sob fest for at least 15 miles as I listened to mothers and fathers talk of their child’s battle against cancer. I knew some days my boys challenged me to the brink of insanity, but they are precious and bring more smiles than frustration to my life. For an instant I placed myself in the shoes of one of those parents dealing with a sick child. I could start to fathom the pain and I really thought I could suffocate under the idea of my child having to fight such a disease.
So, that night we prayed together before bed and I realized I was more than happy to soothe a couple of disagreements and wipe up the spilled cereal. I was relieved that at night I was tucking them into their own beds just down the hall from mine and we weren’t in some hospital room trying to keep the lights low to get some sleep. God has been good to bless Andrew and Austin with health and I pray that it stays that way for them. Though, no one knows what is in store down the road, I am more thankful today for the energy those two boys possess and for the craziness they bring to every day.
So, bring on the craziness!
By the way, fair warning, if you are going to listen to something on the radio about St. Jude’s while you are driving, its wise to pull over.

1 comment:

ckuretich said...

oh, we have one of those for Children's Memorial here in chicago, it just happened last weekend and I bawled all weekend. I can't not listen, I try to keep away but I cannot. The stories ARE gut-wrenching and even though I don't have kids, I have a feeling I know exactly how those people feel...a good perspective to get from that, definitely.