Wednesday, February 29, 2012

They Have Never Seen The Ocean



Once in awhile I sub at school.  It's nice for a little extra money - but more importantly it gives me a glimpse into the lives of young kids.  I am jaded a little I guess. I hear a lot about how horrible public schools are...I have heard it my whole life and there is good reason. However, looking beyond the stereotype and getting past the deluge of bad information....there are children. 

I am not glossing it over. Public school is tough stuff. But here is what I have learned in an educational system that is flawed, but trying to stay alive without the foundation of a family at home. 

In a group of 7 kids for a reading tutorial...I learned 4 of them have never seen the ocean. They have never set foot on a sandy beach, they have never had a moment to gaze across those immense water and wonder...is there something or someone bigger than they are.   Most of them have never even been out of New York state. 

I have learned they grasp at any little information they can get from you to find out about your personal life. 

Kids are sneaky, but they also think it's great that they get jolly ranchers at the end of class. 

They hate to read. However, they think it's awesome I have written a book and I actually get paid to blog. It's all perspective. 

A snow day induces delirium

They want attention. 

They need a little tough love.

They need a home. The kind where mom and dad live and actually love them - this would solve 99 percent of the learning problems. 

In a comparison story where an animal was named Goliath...I asked them..."what does that tell you about the animal if his name was Goliath?".. Blank stares.
Eight seventh graders couldn't tell me who Goliath was. 

I learned what the Cinnamon Challenge was.....

People are very critical of teachers and public school.... but many of those people who fear it and criticize it... have yet to really set two feet inside it. 

I mean let that sink it....these children have never seen the ocean.

No comments: