Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A perfect grade...

So this is the first year of "real" school, where Andrew actually gets grades instead of smiley faces, his reading is evaluated and his math too. I never thought I would be a worrier about school work and even now, I wouldn't say I worry. BUT, when I met for teacher's conference last week I actually had the same feeling return - ya know- the one that would come before I had a test handed back to me and I feared for my grade...yes, I was one of those kids who cried if I received a bad grade. The desire for Andrew to do well was the same...it might be even greater! I was just amused that I could feel that trepidation again.."Did he do well?", "Can he read as well as the other kids?" "I pray he is better at math than I was"....and on and on.

So far. so good.

In typical Andrew fashion: He brought home a spelling test and I made a big deal out of the "100" at the top of the page and the "wow" next to it. I had to explain that a "100" was the best he could do and I was proud of him. He looked at the paper and furrowed his little brow....
"What?" I asked him.
"Well," he looked at the teacher's writing again..."I just think she could have written that a little neater on my paper."

I flipped the paper over and it was the typical "100" with the swooping zero's and the wow was big and cursive like.. - nothing like how the kiddos are expected to write on their homework.
I laughed and hung the paper on the fridge anyway. Andrew's perfect handwriting on his test and well, his teacher's sub-par markings.

Only 11 and half more years.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!
mom

Anonymous said...

So much like his mommy!
mom

Anonymous said...

SO PRECIOUS! love it
christy

Jill Kemerer said...

That's so funny! He sounds like a cutie!