Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Great Expectations...(Not the Novel)..Part 1.

Expectations. Big word. Big Concept. Our pastor talked about our expectations and how our own expectations can lead to great disappointment or hurt feelings. Oddly enough my four year old demonstrated this perfectly when he received a gift from his teacher. He collapsed in tears when he opened his gift (at home) and found a book instead of a brand new train. Yup. "But she knows I like trains!" he quietly cried. I felt bad, he was so disappointed...but needless to say, his expectations were a little too great for the small gift bag he held in his hands.
It applies to so many things, our friends our family, holiday traditions, our bosses, our churches..the list goes on. Our expectations vs reality.
I admit,on more than one occasion my expectations have been too high and I have suffered disappointment. At some point you place a certain expectation on a person and they don't live up to what you have defined, you get angry or upset with them...but was it their fault? or mine? I think there is a balance there (but that is part II).
For instance, I think I can give a gift maybe with a great deal of personal investment which for me would be writing, a photograph, special music.. something from the heart and I can be all excited to leave it for someone on Christmas and it's met with a lukewarm gratitude. Hurt feelings? sure. Great expectations for my very own idea? *gulp* yes. Perhaps in my own grandeur I thought the gift was fantastic and I was "expecting" a great reaction. When it doesn't happen...feelings are hurt, resentment maybe? So many feelings can spawn of such an idea. I think we all do it to some point.
I have even done it to people. I expect them to handle something the way I would or better than what they are capable of...once again great expectations...great disappointment. Subconsciously I expect something from someone and when it doesn't happen, I am frustrated and maybe even angry with them. yikes. what an awesomely, ugly admission. But it's true. So, just a check point... are your great expectations leading to some hurt feelings? disappointment? maybe :)
Now..expecting great things from a great God...no disappointment there .

3 comments:

CG said...

Really good, really true thoughts friend. I liked, no love - this.

Anonymous said...

love this, very thought out. and kinda hit home. good stuff
sarah

Anonymous said...

i really like this and it's sooooo true - i think of just about everyone. seriously. awesomeness.
veronica