Sunday, January 3, 2010

Passion...

So, I am taking a break from working...or ok, procrastinating the start of my writing for the week and blogging BECAUSE...

As I was reading..(yes this is all a tangible and very important tool in my procrastination) I read through a passage that I happened to love. I tend to be a fast reader which has its advantages, but sometimes I miss some good stuff.
I am on my next novel "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks and yes I will see the movie as soon as it comes out. But while reading there were a few short paragraphs I liked.
I'll set it up a lil for ya - yes typical...boy meets girl..talking and whaddya know...they are on the beach. She is asking him a million questions and he is answering her rambling inquiries.
After asking about his dad, the conversation followed:
"He sounds interesting...I've always loved people who have this... passion for life."
"It's a passion for coins, not life,"I corrected her.
"It's the same thing. Passion is passion. It's the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn't matter where it's directed." She shuffled her feet in the sand. "Well, most of the time anyway. I'm not talking about vices here."
"Like you and caffeine."
She smiled, flashing the small gap between her two front teeth. "Exactly. It can be coins or sports or politics or horses or music or faith...the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary because there is nothing to make it last. I'd love to hear your dad talk about his coins, because that is when you see a person at his best. I've found that someone else's happiness is usually infectious." - Nicholas Sparks, "Dear John"

Yup. loved it. re-wrote it. now back to reading..er..i mean working :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

im a nick sparks fan myself. i can't for this movie.
nice snippet from the book too.. I like!
CJ

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

um, i meant can't wait!!
cj

Jill Kemerer said...

I love that thought. Passion is passion. Thanks for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jill! and to the first post comment - thank you :) and you have me curious as to who you are :) I'll keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Um... great post and all BUT i am still waiting for the christmas sweater pic...yes yes...don't think ur getting out of it!
sara!

Unknown said...

hee hee- i actually forgot i said that...shoot. fine. i will. i will. soon ;)