Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Chicken And The Egg


I know its not an unknown fact that kids come up with some interesting conversations, complicated questions and fantastic one-liners.
Today Austin was quiet and contemplative as we made eggs and french toast for breakfast.
During our quiet morning he shattered my thoughts with this question:"How do people put shells on eggs?"
Me: Long Pause- while racking my brain in how to answer that one on a 3-year-old's level.
I tried to explain that chickens lay the egg, the egg is formed inside the chicken...meanwhile I can feel the warning bells going off that somehow this conversation will turn toward where babies come from.
Alas he just asked: "Why do chickens put shells on their eggs?"
Now, see I WAS going to say - the shells are there to protect the baby chicken.....this being said as I crack open an egg and started scrambling it....grrrrreat. Somewhere in there he got distracted and gave up on the egg question.
But seriously...where is the book that guides parents through those types of questions! Of course if you were on facebook..you may have seen Andrew's classic line of the day in which last Friday he reminded me that Monday we would celebrate Marvin K. Mooney day.
Yes, I giggled and then asked him if he meant...Martin Luther King Day. To which he gave me a sly smile and responded with, "oh yea..I knew that didn't sound right."


Gotta love it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never asked those questions...your brother did...maybe it is a boy thing!

Anonymous said...

What a Hoot, Got to love those questions out of the blue that make ya squirm..Now if you were on a farm and got to buther your own chickens and see the forming the eggs inside the bird you still would have a hard time explaining how we eat something that comes out of the butt of an animal... and where the expresion "runnig aroud like a chicken with your head off"

Anonymous said...

Opps that was Mr. C tidbits on life

Anonymous said...

That brought a smile. Wish adult questions could slip away with distractions. He is such a beautiful child. I can see how immensely you enjoy your boys.
Aunt Darlene

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
怎麼會這樣 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.