Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall....




Upstate New York is near perfect during the fall. The weather is in the 70’s, its sunny, skies are blue and the leaves are just starting to change. If fall didn’t lead right into winter, it would be my favorite season. However, it’s just a pretty prelude to the devastatingly horrible cold that is just waiting to consume me. Despite the fact that snow and ice are just around the corner, I do love the fall. I LOVE the pumpkins and the dorky scarecrows that popup (sorry mom) and the fresh apples. We have five huge apple trees along our road, so we’ve already picked and made applesauce. (How completely domestic of me) I completely enjoy pulling out the "fall clothes". I like my jeans and sweaters, so it is a nice change of pace.
Up until yesterday, I even liked mums. You know, those pretty plants that sprout up at all of the farm stands and people place them every so strategically on their doorsteps or windowsills. I thought mums were the perfect fall flowers. I am not so sure anymore. As I was having a conversation with my JV girls’ soccer coach, I realized that not everyone approves of mums. In fact, she despises them, passionately. Why? You ask. Simply, put, "They serve no purpose, they don’t grow back and they just die. Mums are stupid." She emphatically insisted that it makes more sense to go with tulips. "Tulips at least grow back." That’s right, I held an entire conversation on why tulips were better than mums. So, now every time I see those pretty Hearty Mums ( which I was told, if they are so hearty…they should survive a frost. But they don’t….thus…mums are stupid) and I think how pretty they look…and then the bad thoughts come about how stupid mums are. So, tragically, my whole "embracing the fall" has been somewhat tainted by all the mum-hating.

9 comments:

ckuretich said...

Ok this is TOO funny. first, I don't know if you know this about me - but I'm a fall ADDICT. I will pretty much mention it almost daily on my blog from now until Christmas. Seriously.

Second, I too have a friend who DESPISES mums. I used to like them too. Now when I see them, all I can think about is my friend who hates them! Isn't that hilarious????

but don't let that dampen your fall love. Fall is the BEST BEST BEST ever. I need a pumpkin, stat.

Anonymous said...

i didn't mean to ruin fall for you!
sorry:(

Unknown said...

I had no idea there was such a "mum" issue out there...this could be worth investigating...perhaps a support group???

Unknown said...

I believe mums do come back. Plant them in the ground and they will come back next yr.
http://landscaping.about.com/od/landscapecolor/p/chrysanthemums.htm
A little positive out of a negative! I love Fall too, mums, scarecrows, hay bales to decorate with, corn stalks, indian corn...candy corn...oh thats more for my belly then my eye! :-)
I give peopel freedom to hate what I love...just know Im right! ;-)
JK!

Unknown said...

people, not peopel. Come on, I KNOW how to spell!!!!

Anonymous said...

You use MY pumpkin and make fun of MY scare crows--which Austin loves!!!! And mums are BEAUTIFUL and my mauve mum has come back up for several years and is 5 feet in diameter and you need to leave mums alone--your mum (and I really do love you)

Anonymous said...

Mums the word, eh?! Well... I have to tell ya, Amber, I was mummified to hear that you do not share the family's great appreciation for the hearty, colorful autumn plant that, although it doesnt' always live longer than the season, does provide vibrant bursts of color which bring great happiness to elderly people who look out their den window to view them quietly sitting on the lonely picnic table. I won't tell your grandmum that you aren't particularly fond of them. It's really okay. Mum's the word.

Anonymous said...

ok everyone it is NOT ME that hates the mums...but my wonderful friend who has a slight issue...however, my next post will clarify the appreciation...don't be hatin' y'all...

Maybe Tomorrow said...

don't be hatin' . . . that is funny stuff.
This is exactly what my next post to my blog is about. Fall, that is, not hatin'. Anyway, I love you and your writing!