Monday, September 1, 2008

Home Decor? Beauty Routine? .....Reality.

I think it is so incredibly easy to indulge in magazines. I love to get Home magazine or House Beautiful and even a few parenting magazines once in awhile. I admit, I’ll even pick up a random entertainment magazine if the line gets too long at the grocery store. Seeing as how my spare time is limited, so is my superfluous reading. I love new ideas on home décor or grabbing a quick look at the newest (and way too expensive) innovative beauty product that will ensure perfect skin and ravishing locks of hair.
Early on, I tossed any subscription that tagged "fashion" on its pages. Realizing how quickly and easily it was to compare the beautiful (and air-brushed) faces of the magazines to the one looking back from the mirror. Seriously, unless someone is going to come and airbrush me in the morning, I’d rather stick to reality….which is…happy to be hair-brushed, teeth-brushed, clothes on while doting on two boys who want to "help" me get ready to go anywhere. Someday, when mornings are little quieter, I’ll give that whole make up, hair and body routine a go… For now, I’ll make it presentable and avoid the sweats or "mom" jeans and ragged t-shirt in public, but hey, I am not making any promises.
On the home front, I’ve decided to accept normalcy. Home magazine is great to flip through and garner a few creative ideas that might spawn an afternoon of painting or rearranging. But I would love to see how long a fancy candle display on glass rocks sitting in the middle of my living room would last. The white plush carpet draped across a hardwood floor of some fancy Cottage Living display page, in my house, it would look fancy with some chocolate milk spilled on it.
My house isn’t made for a magazine that’s ok. I don’t really subscribe to house magazines anymore for the simple fact that I realize I get critical of my own. That’s silly, who wouldn’t want matchbox cars across the living room floor? The black and red pillows matched well with the rest of the furniture, but the color scheme was interrupted by a forest green blanket that was given to me by my soccer team last year. Each of their names were stitched into it with the school name at the top. So, sentimental value over-ruled the home décor trend. The same goes for the miscellaneous toys that litter a corner of the living room and the random hand-scribbled drawing on the fridge. It’s no magazine issue, but its real and its all mine!

2 comments:

Maybe Tomorrow said...

Let me start this out by saying you KNOW I'm a smart-ass . . .but do you mean INDULGE rather that DIVULGE.

You are the cutest thing ever.

Amber J said...

You only get away with "corrections" because you tell me I am cute...therefore...say anything you want...as long as you flatter me in the end