Monday, November 17, 2008

The Art of Procrastination

So, it's not a big deal...but every week I have to compile five stories for the newspaper I work for. The stories must contain an interview with at least one person and a photograph or a series of photographs with each story.
Now, every Tuesday is deadline. It's the same every week, but somehow I manage to procrastinate just long enough to make Monday a miserable day of last minute interviews and writing forays. I perpetually put off the writing, but under the stress of trying to get it done it seems my mind works better.
The pressure to get my articles in on time mounts greatly by Monday morning, especially if I have spent the weekend playing :) The zest for creative ideas is in absolute demand by Monday afternoon and usually by Monday night I am sitting in a pile of notebooks, begging the thesaurus to give me something wordy and clever. Coffee is a must and the question of "why did I not start this last week?" is perpetually repeated as I exasperate myself with thinking of unique excuses as to why I will be missing my deadline by a few hours.
Despite the ever mounting pressure I still decide that other things have to be done first, further pushing my work deeper into the wee hours of the night and I will surely see midnight or beyond by the time I shut down my working brain.
As you can see I am still very concerned about the writing I am getting done, as I am blogging instead. Perhaps it’s a disease or an incurable fault that I will just have to live with when it comes to work. Despite the procrastination, there is in fact a whirlwind of stress and pressure that pushes me to get some of my best work done. So, perhaps instead using procrastination in a bad way, we can muster up a better way to phrase such a trait. "The Art of Procrastination"…that seems nice. It could be followed by a literary work, "The Procrastinators Guide to Success." I wonder if I would meet the publication deadline on that one? Probably not, but in the final days- I would whip off some delightful chapters I am sure.
Oh well, I guess at some point I should start on the four of five articles I have left that are due by tomorrow. But first, a snack, fold some laundry, check email and then we’ll focus. Oh wait, I gotta make a phone call too.
Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You stress me out. Maybe there is more of Joshua in you than we ever knew!
love you--whoever you are-
mom