Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Meals On Wheels...

I have realized, I am completely bored with anything remotely culinary. A culinary artist...I am not. In fact, I am not even sure I should be allowed to use the word "culinary" it sounds too sophisticated for me. I was contemplating signing up for Meals on Wheels...but apparently there are a lot of qualifications...and I don't meet any of them :P But what an idea! I could have dinner delivered every day! I could handle that. There are other programs I could join, but for four people.. the price tag would be a tad hefty.
So, I say all that, to come right back to the beginning, I am bored. So...I enlist the help of friends and family for something new...or at least newish to me.
However, I am sorry - I have a FEW stipulations ( isn't that nice...ask for a favor and then add stipulations??)
1. No weird ingredients that I can't pronounce. If you insist on exoctic ingredients, then you will have to tell me where to find them in the grocery/health food store...otherwise...I'll give up if I can't find it right away:)

2. Once a recipe starts extending beyond like 10 or 12 ingredients, I start getting antsy. Along the same lines..if it requires like 500 steps, I will probably file the sucker in my "someday when I feel like really cooking file)

3. Also, I need something somewhat kid-friendly, but not a big deal. I also have back ups for the kiddos.

4. If you send me dessert recipes, I will simply love you more than everyone else...but I really DO need dinner stuff.

haha..of course with summer coming...I just buy hunks of meat and make Gregg grill...that way all I have do is make side stuff....but I am not a HUGE meat lover (tho chicken, pork and ham are ok) But, at some point, I want some good stuff for dinner. HELP? :) I don't even care if you know me or not...I just care about the food.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I STRONGLY recommended The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook - it has to be the Family book - it's green. It's set up to be family/kid friendly, has a very short list of ingredients, and is also budget friendly. It has breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts. We pretty much make all of our meals/snacks from this book.

ckuretich said...

K all I have to say is that as someone who LOVES to cook I still feel your pain. I too get overwhelmed when a recipe includes WAY more steps than I'm ready for. it seems like it will take a long time. so I break it down - spices (usually they're listed on separate lines but it's really just a quick toss in the bowl), veggies with prep work (again, not too bad) and/or measuring of liquids. Also I think the K.I.S.S. acronym is appropriate here (keep it simple, stupid!) - because there is no need to get crazy. grilling meat sounds great - there, that's done. So toss together some kind of pasta or potato or noodle or salad or canned veggie or bread and you're done!

Also I watch Food Network like, way too much - but one of the MAIN reasons is because when I see a recipe, it doesn't always translate for me. I need to SEE it prepared and then I can get it much more easily.

here's a perfect example - I made this last night for Dave & I in 20 minutes and it was DELISSSHHHHHH.
pasta. roasted tomatoes & bread crumbs. toss it together. what's easier?

(But see, when you look at the recipe, it looks WAY long and overwhelming. but when I watched Giada do it I was like hells yeah!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pasta-ponza-recipe/index.html

Unknown said...

ok! Im game! Im gonna do it! Food Network AND Biggest Loser Cookbook *big fan btw* of the Biggest Loser. and maybe when Im feeling all inquistive, I'll check out the food network...I'm still partial to meals on wheels tho:P