Monday, September 7, 2009

Beautiful Messes

There are songs, sayings and poems written about life's beautiful messes. Recently it has come up in at least two different places and the thread of its appearances allowed me to thing of what beautiful messes I appreciate. Now, of course the simple phrase can be stretched to cover a multitude of various "messes" but I went with a more literal translation.
For one, a beautiful mess is the left over dishes in the sink, a few extra dirty coffee cups and a couple extra things left on the counter to put away in the morning. This mess follows having great friends over the night before. It's a mess that represents people chose to spend their time with you. It's a good mess :)
A messy counter full of papers, crayons and more markers with missing tops...because a couple of kiddos sat there for an hour making you pictures and writing "I love mom" all over them.
The Christmas morning wrapping paper massacre is another favorite. After the tornado of presents being unwrapped and you can barely see the living room floor...yea, I like that mess too.
Ice cream stained laundry - need I say more about that kind of mess :)
So, those are just a few of the beautiful messes I have come to love:) I am sure there are more - and as the day goes on maybe I'll add them. For now... I need more coffee!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add to all of that....laundry you must stain treat because Papa had them up to the pond....strawberry stains from the strawberry patch...grease stains because Papa needed help...it is all good!!

Amber J said...

you bet it is....i like the dirt and grease stains...happy messes~~~

lost in thought said...

messy life sometimes just means a well lived life...at least that's what i tell myself when i don't clean for a month :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,
I agree. Those are "beautiful messes". One time when the children were little and it was muddy outside, I was complaining to my neighbor (at the time), Lynn, about having to scrub out the stains and get out the dirt before I'd throw them in the washer. She has a son, Brian, who has a rare neurological disease, and is bedridden, can't do anything (eat, talk, is in diapers, etc.). I'll never forget her works when she pointed out to me that having a lot of dirty clothes, meant that I had healthy children who could go outside and get dirty. She would've given anything if Brian could get muddy from playing outside. I think of that whenever I scrub mud and grass stain out of soccer socks, or anything else. The dirty clothes represent healthy children.
Thanks for the reminder.
Love,
Aunt Darlene

Jill Kemerer said...

You're right. Some messes are beautiful. Christmas mess is one of my favorites!

Unknown said...

I know - I have thought of more...but that crazy christmas mess might be the happiest one of all :) Unless you are my son - who things greasy hands are cool...cuz it makes him look "cool". to each his own i guess!!!

Anonymous said...

aw. i'm good for a couple of messes every day..literal and otherwise! I like baking messes...flour all over, cookie dough, you name it...that means somethin' good is in the oven!
christy