Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This Is Just My Opinion...

















but I have to wonder about this game we call football. Last weekend some awesome friends(pictured above, were the coolest people of the trip) of ours asked us to join them for a Syracuse football game and charmed us into going with a pre-game meal of the best chicken wings ever!! So, I was in. But my opinion is this, I am not sure what it is about the sport of football itself that people actually enjoy...or it's the atmosphere.
Because, for Americans who have been greatly defined as having less than a stellar attention span....football and baseball seemed to have captured our hearts like no other games...and honestly - could you pick two slower sports? Now, trust me, I get why they are enjoyable. However, for every 10 seconds of action in football, there is like five minutes of nothing, throw in a few bad calls and an injury and you are looking at a three and a half hour adventure for one sport.
I loved being there, the atmosphere was fun and exciting and I think THAT is why most people go for football. That is just my psychological opinion. I mean I love Superbowl weekend, but can't remember the last time I really cared about who won. I am probably digging myself a hole with my die-hard football fan friends and I know I am creating irony as I write for a sports section (football excluded there though). I have to admit that football bores me slightly, way too much down time for me. Though that is the exact critique the sport of soccer suffers in America. "Boring". To each his own. I have yet to be at a four-hour soccer game...not sure I would want to. But anyway, going to a game was super fun, wings were awesome and so was the company and I totally got a new t-shirt - of which I have some how lost the pic..but it's on facebook- so since you have nothing else better to do than to read my blog and check out my facebook page...go for it :)

































Da' WINGS!!! Seriously, so absolutely fantastic!
AND - We had pretty good seats! And randomly found people we knew from the 'burgh among 40,000 of our closest friends.

4 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

I love football! But I know exactly what you're saying. How can we get so excited for something 2-3 hours long? I don't know, but the snacks and the weekend definitely are part of the equation for me.

TS said...

What then is the excuse for NASCAR? Round and round and round and round. Is there even a social atmosphere with that sport?

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,
I never got to go to a game while I was at SU, but I use to live in back of Carrier Dome in what is now a parking lot. We could hear the cheers.
I prefer soccer anyway.
Love,
Aunt Darlene

Anonymous said...

I love the blog!!! And you are right--those two are the coolest!!! LJ