Saturday, April 3, 2010

I like it here...



I love visiting New York City. The key word being "visiting". I enjoy the thrill of going there and seeing all there is to see. I must have sat in Central Park for an hour just watching people of every walk of life pass ( or skate, run, ride horseback, bike) me by. It's amazing such completely different world is only a couple of hours away not to mention one of the most influential cities in the world. I embrace the huge scale of it all and I really could just sit and watch people all day long ( from a Starbucks window seat of course!)
However, I like it here. I like where I am and where I live. I like my space ( and those who visit my mountain know I have a lot of it). I enjoy sending my kids outside to play and not having to chase them step for step worried I would lose them in a sea of people. (Though we came close last year with Austin at Washington Park..ugh).
I enjoy the quietness of my backyard and the sweet breeze that lulls life to sleep at night. I like the giant pond that reflect the sun...which sets behind the mountains and not behind the skyscrapers. Yup, at times its inconvenient (i.e. seven foot high snowbanks.), but overall I guess I'm a country girl. I like being barefoot in the grass, I like the quietness of my road and I enjoy the slow pace of my mornings (people know how important that is to me).
So, I am always thrilled to go to NYC and immerse myself in a culture that is as unique as each person that walks its streets, but I am glad when I leave and I start seeing rivers and hills replacing streets and buildings. That's just me. It's funny how two worlds can be so close, yet so far apart.

No comments: