Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Great Expectations (Still not the novel) part II

So...if you expect nothing from anyone you will never be disappointed? That was the question I got after the last post about expectations.
It's a nice thought. But it's still untrue. Of course you have to have a little balance with this concept I guess. You have to expect certain things from people.. but once again you are still in the driver's seat.
For one, I expect the teams I coach to be dedicated, focused and handle their time management responsibilities..however, I am somewhat responsible in make sure they are enabled to accomplish these things.
I expect my children to show respect...once again, something I have a hand in creating. I expect my good friends not to walk up and punch me in the face :). If they do...I suppose I should choose new friends! So, there will always be a certain level of expectation for people. I guess my point was, don't make YOUR expectations so high or so off course for someone that you are angry at them when they fall short.
Friends change loyalties, family members can be hurtful and children are imperfect...as we all are :)
So, checks and balance on that issue I guess.
Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your new picture on your blog! I love trees.

Amber J said...

THX! It's a tree that grow in brooklyn ;) in a park. I loved it as well!