Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Impact.

We were asked in our small group what books (beside the Bible) had an impact on us. It immediately divided the readers from the non-readers..all in good humor...so we were forced to include movies too.
My mind scrambled...so many books! So many movies! I giggled, because I wanted to proudly state TWILIGHT!! ha! Impactful? maybe one of the MOST entertaining..not sure it can qualify as impacting. Though, I could probably spawn an inner debate about that.
I did choose This Present Darkness - Frank Peretti and The Shack. When a book comes back to mind time and again...then you know it got it you. I feel the same goes with certain songs or movies. One dude was passionate about the movie Braveheart another spoke highly of a book I now can't remember- but it had to do with the cost of Pastor's standing up for Christ in Nazi Germany - I'm guessing it's not a light read by any means.  But, it was interesting to go through and choose books or story lines that were impacting, not just entertaining or educational.
Of course, I also think books and movies can have a different impact depending on where you are in life. The turnover can be as frequent as different wrinkles unfolding in life. What movie/book grabs your heart?
My good friend did suggest a new author:  Gayle Forman who has written  If I Stay and then  Where She Went  - suggested for fans of Twilight. I haven't gotten the books yet...but I plan on it ;) 

1 comment:

CG said...

I used to love Frank Peretti too. Books that impacted me the most spiritually...hmm....the Grace Awakening-Chuck Swindoll, Loving God-Charles Colson, CS Lewis everything, The Calvary Road-Roy Hession.

Most entertaining....wow that's hard. Twilights on the list for shizzle. :)