Sunday, May 15, 2011

Creation/Evolution and an 8-year-old

These thoughts have turned over and over in my head.  And trust me, this post could be PAGES long, but the focus is on teaching.  I would love it if you emailed me or posted your thoughts :) But, we have come to the time when my eldest is learning "science" in school.  This also means the time has come to teach how to "respectfully disagree". That's not easy for a kid, to realize people he respect (friends, family and teachers) believe in something other than what the Bible says and what we as parents believe.  We have started with the basics...What does the Bible say? What does the science book say? Of course, they don't match up and at some point my son will have to decide for himself what he truly believes.  But, I will be honest..I was challenged in high school in this very area of evolution vs. creation. Was I just gonna regurgitate what I had been taught by my parents? OR...did I believe it.  So. I studied. I'm not gonna give a dissertation on all I learned, but I will tell you - this novel reading, soccer focused, social butterfly type of college girl - thoroughly absorbed her apologetics class.  Maybe it is because I learned under Dr. Dewitt - one of the leading scientist/creationists in the county, maybe it's because I was blown away by the concrete proof. Regardless, my son will understand both sides equally.  I have no problem studying the THEORY of evolution and he will learn the questions to pass the test, but he will have the option to KNOW both, to question both and to look at both sides in depth. I did and it may be the very reason I know what I believe is true today.
So,  the concept of understanding that those we love and respect will disagree with our beliefs is not easy to teach, but at this point in time it is necessary.
And just cuz i can't resist  - There is several written pieces that Darwin renounced his theories before he died that never made it to the text books ;)  Super interesting. Ya gotta pick one..God? or Evolution? Ya can't have both...even Theistic Evolution undermines what God says.
another thing is I am amazed at the people who get so upset when they learn I disagree...but here's the thing..I have literally STUDIED evolution, debated it on the college circuit and understand the thought behind it, the people who so adamantly disagree with me - have never studied creation.  It's a science believe it or not. The site Answer In Gensis, has resources above and beyond.   But it always throws me that those who disagree with me get so very upset! I dunno!
Last point - I have read HUNDREDS of testimonies on evolutionist who turned creationists after studying the science, I have not found one testimony of a creationist who turned against it.  Maybe they are out there, but I haven't read one.
So, it's gonna get uncomfortable at times I am sure as my son's eyes begin to open wider to the world and realize he will have to forge his way. But, far be it from me not to give him every tool, resource and support system he needs to know truth. God will lead, I will follow, my son will know. BUT, if you are someone who has kids in a public school or have had kids there and have had to balance this... I would love your thoughts. thx!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

As a former athiest and believer in evolution....all I can say is AMEN!!! Many of my teaching colleauges need to understand that, as you said...evolution must be presented as a THEORY. I have got in many a debate about this, yes, yes. I am so thankful to know that you are encouraging Andrew to respectfully disagree. Intentional parenting at its best. Love you guys!!!!

lost in thought said...

perfectly said friend. not only is it good to know what you believe but also why and what you don't believe... that being said when i have kids ill let you explain this to them :)

CG said...

what happened was, I clicked on the link to Answers in Genesis and ended up reading a long paper on where the Tower of Babel might could be. True story.

I love that you are teaching your kids to look at points of view while still keeping truth at the forefront. Amazing and not common in this world. Heart you