Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I am THAT girl!




We have to laugh at ourselves. Otherwise...we will be miserable human beings counting up the many failures in life. It's those failures...sometimes...we just have to laugh at.
I say this because I have family and friends and, wait.....yup even me who get really down on themselves about their failures or shortcomings.
I find myself doing this especially being a mom, wife and friend. Family and friends are the two things that saturate my world with color, but it can also lead to counting your shortcomings when you feel you let people down, forget an important date...or somehow are NOT awarded "mom-of-the year" at the pretend end-of-the school year awards ceremony that takes place only in the minds of all parents in June ;)
Yesterday - Science Projects were due.  I was THAT mom in the parking lot of Wal-Mart putting the finishing touches on Andrew's presentation board because the photos I ordered still hadn't come yet. One hour photo saved the day. So, glue stick in hand, in the parking lots with lots of look-seers staring at me - I finished that sucker. Now. how does one NOT laugh at that? There was a twinge of guilt that it wasn't done by that morning, but I did get it to school on time.

Last week, my cousin asked to stay at our house. I said sure.  I asked him to pick up potato salad for dinner. He said yes. He came on Wednesday, I thought he said Thursday. He didn't. I checked. He said Wednesday. Oops.  Therefore we had finished dinner and there was no need for potato salad.We had already eaten! I am THAT cousin.

There's more:
I offered to take dinner to a friend after she had a baby. She said yes. I made dinner. We agreed to all eat dinner together. I told my fam we were going over. Packed up the car. Texted her I had dinner take care of.  We got 15 minutes from her house and she asked "when would you like to get together?"  Oops. I never said the day. She had no idea we were on our way THAT day.  In my head I told her Wednesday..I just forgot to tell HER that.  Being part awesome. She laughed and said come on over!
I am THAT friend.


So, seriously I have to laugh because if I didn't I would be soooo annoyed with myself. I was a little bit and there were moments that I envision this put-together girl that doesn't miss a beat and makes organization look effortless.  I am not THAT girl. However, I encourage you - don't be so hard on yourself. You are harder on yourself than anyone else is.
Andrew thought it was awesome the pics were on the board, my cousin laughed and let me keep the potato salad AND my friends STILL laugh "remember that time you brought us dinner but we didn't know you were coming"...yea...  they even allow me to hold the baby.
Btw - these are just highlights. I could keep going..but let's not totally derail how awesome you all think I am ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But you can laugh at it and that's what makes you so special!!! LJL