Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The World Is Much Bigger Than Me..True Story

I just watched this video - "180" the movie.   Afterwards, the first thing I felt was...some of my problems are really dumb. I know...deep thinker here. Obviously, much more poured into my heart and thought process, but it did make me think. How much less stress, worry and anxiety would we feel if we realized we WEREN'T the center of the universe. Now, I know some of us would have a hard time admitting that we think like that... but our actions will tell us otherwise.
For one... we stress out about money, jobs, what to DO with our lives, children, whether or not someone likes us or doesn't, activities, bosses, responsibilities, families...and it goes on. I am not say these things aren't important. They are. But, if something goes wrong with a friend does it send us into endless emotional turmoil?  If we aren't making enough money do we take on another job and spend less time with family? If our boss is a jerk, does it make our whole world collapse? these things all affect us, of course. I have concerns, worry and other issues that do take a toll, but if we take a moment and step back from the situation...I think some of our "problems" we have created. We have turned the grain of sand into a mountain.
My mom and I have a catch phrase when we start complaining about something or something really concerns us that perhaps shouldn't be overtaking our entire existence.. It might sound harsh, but we'll say "It's Not About You". you know?  It stems from the devotion by Max Lucado, but it kind of stops you in your tracks.
It's about God. Kinda takes the pressure off. We can't let our worries and concerns swamp us so greatly that our entire world comes crashing down in the midst of small problems.  The world is much bigger, problems are greater and sometimes if we invest in others we realize...our own personal turmoil shrinks a little. This isn't to minimize real problems. They exist. I am talking more along the lines of bumps in the road that we somehow turn into the Grand Canyon.
Not sure this all makes sense, I think I touched on about 20 different topics that could lead into hours of discussion, but that's it in a nutshell.

No comments: