Monday, February 9, 2009

No Stereotype Here...

Ok, I was in Panera Bread a little while ago....yum. In addition to getting my favorite French Onion Soup and some sort of sandwich, I enjoy people watching. I say "people watching" because it sounds a lot less sinister than "stalking", but in reality it is more like stalking. It's a problem. Perhaps it could be labeled as "detailed observation." Anyway, so as I sat down with my friend a guy came and sat diagonal from me and whipped opened his laptop. He was the classic coffee shop guy on a business lunch. Three piece suit, business spectacles, and cell phone attached to the ear.
He never stopped talking on his phone while he ordered, sat down and started in on his lunch while working on his laptop. Props to his multi-tasking ability btw. Anyway, so now I am intrigued beyond the fact that he ordered the same sandwich I did. (see stalker) I was trying to NOT listen in on his conversation, but it was hard because he kept rambling on about numbers and concepts I didn't understand and he was speaking just above the volume that is acceptable for close tables in an eating area.
So, now I am intrigued to actually SEE what is on his computer...I KNOW..its a problem. Before I head up to get a drink I try to imagine fancy graphs, scrolling numbers, html mumbo jumbo..ya know the stuff people work on during their business lunch. He was obviously talking with work and I was interested...ok...slightly nosey...whatever.
So, I took the long way to the drink fountain and lo and behold discreetly peered at his computer screen. When I saw Mr. Businessman scrolling along on his Facebook page, I could barely manage to hold in a giggle. Ah, silly me to fit Mr. Businessman into a stereotype of numbers, graphs and important business data. He was just a classy facebooker hidden under the mask of cell phone calls and random verbal jibberish. I mean, seriously, what a surprise..someone on facebook when they should be working! PFFT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were such a psycho! haha jk

Unknown said...

HEY! I would be offended...but it was a self-proclaimed truth!!! You have been warned! haha. blog stalker, people stalker..I DO have a problem;)

Anonymous said...

facebook at work? wha? who would ever? i thought facebook was work. meg