Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Had A Date….

That’s right. A date. My son has been begging me to come to school and eat lunch with him. Apparently, other cool super moms make the stop every once in awhile to eat in the elementary school cafeteria and chill with the Kindergartners and lunch ladies. So, how could I say no to such a request? It was all good and what a throw back to childhood. I didn’t see any Rainbow Brite or Smurf lunchboxes….they have been replaced by High School Musical where Vanessa Hutchinson has widely gained the popularity vote over Smurfette.
However, it was a blast to be in Andrew’s world for a little while and I didn’t dare tell him that other moms came in solely to scope out the kids. Not that I WOULD EVER think things like…Whose kid is good enough for my kid to hang out with? Who behaves and who doesn’t? Who seems like play date potential and how in the world do elementary schoolteachers remain sane? It sounds slightly sinister to admit those thoughts fire rapidly while you sit there with your own child unknowingly making quick judgements about someone else’s. I only admit it, because well, I KNOW I am not the only one. I think it all stems from the natural parental protection agency we all emerge from once we have had children. That incredibly strong and defensive desire that sparks like a wildfire for our kids….it might be one of the most internally powerful characteristics a person develops. Thankfully, Andrew does have a lot of sweet friends who are losing their teeth and still need help with their juiceboxes.
It was just amusing to sit there among so many six year olds and try to remember what it was like to be them. The trays looked so big in their little hands and all the giggles and laughs that stemmed from the slightest amusements. So, lunch with Andrew will have to happen a little more often. In all of my wisdom (haha) I know he and his friends won't always clamour for the attention of their parents, so now's the time to heed to their attention and maybe when they are older they won't think we're too bad;)
Despite the quick overview of the kindergarten class, Andrew’s smile made it all worth it when he saw me waiting for him in the cafeteria. Mission accomplished.

Fast forward…can you see his face at 16 when he walks into his high school cafeteria…and mom is sitting at his table just waiting to have lunch? Hee hee.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right MOM,enjoy each precious moment which are to soon gone.If you don't take time now it is gone FOREVER....ED

Amber J said...

:) I will Ed...Thanks!! It seems so fast already!

Anonymous said...

Andrew might not be happy to see ya..but his friends might :P haha!
Christy

Amber J said...

oh nice Christy! whatever!!!

Anonymous said...

Just speaking some truth... pretty girl ;)
C-

Amber J said...

You do realize I'll be like 95 years old by then...

Amber J said...

haha - that makes me laugh! working' it at 95..ahhhh!