Thursday, January 15, 2009

China And Dining Room Tables





















Ok, so this is completely and utterly random…but whatever. (how’s that for an opening line) I post the picture of our not-quite-done-still-needs-some-work dining room, to feature the awesomeness of the large round object sitting in the middle of it. There’s a story here. Eight and half illustrious years ago, we traveled to China with my parents. We went EVERYWHERE and I ate foods that I can only tell you about. Out of the entire trip which included hiking the Great Wall, walking through the Forbidden Palace, seeing the Terracotta Soliders, and visiting Tiananmen Square among a hundred other sites…the way we dined was an adventure in itself.
In every restaurant all our food was served on a turntable such as the one in my picture. In China, you had small plates and the turntable spun as people needed something. As the food went by you picked what you wanted off of the serving dishes. It made total sense. There was no "please pass this" or reaching for something and spilling your drink. (not that I would EVER do that). You simply spun the food and took what you needed. I LOVED it. Soooooo…for Christmas my dad fashioned a similar turntable for my dining room table and it works fabulously…it almost makes me want to cook lots :) It works especially well on our table which is a perfect square and unless you have go-go gadget arms, you can’t reach across it. So, props to dad on the international piece of furniture…you rock!























Ok, the other random picture…um..it just makes me laugh. We are all IMing back and forth. It’s all about being able to communicate with your children.
Other random rambling: one of my favorite singers Joshua Radin was Starbucks Pick of the Week. Totally cool. What a delish idea…a mocha frap. and Joshua Radin singing …works for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMing at 2 and 6 years--I KNEW they were amazing!!!! mom

the Jeffr said...

it looks like there's a bunch of giant pans falling out of the sky on you guys. Hope everyone is ok.

Anonymous said...

HELLO THERE AMBER THIS IS ED C,ITS SO SWEET TO HERE YOUR THOUGHTS AND HOW YOU CAN EXPRESS THEM SO WELL.ITS GREAT TO READ YOUR THOUGHTS OF COMPASSION AND LIFE CUZ I HAVE SEEN MORE OF YOU THRU YOUR BLOG THEN I HAVE TAKEN TIME AT CHURCH TO SEE AND FOR THAT I AM SORRY TO HAVE MISSED A BLESSING. ED

Anonymous said...

I believe the name for that contraption on your table is a "lazy susan".

My dad made my mom one, we always used it when she made tacos. Put all the veggies and cheese on there, and we just spun it around filling our tacos with goodness!

Amber J said...

oh...but calling it a lazy susan...seems so....blah. Haha. Odd enough, I had never seen one fitting to every table at this size....we had a couple of small ones...oh well...I had to laugh when I saw it at Lowes... :)

Amber J said...

ED - You MADE my weekend :) THX!!!!!!