Monday, January 19, 2009

Questions And Car Rides

"There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child. "~Frank A. Clark

I will not enumerate on the perplexities of children, but I will open a window to just a few moments I have had recently. My six-year-old has this uncanny knack of settling into the back seat of the car as we drive and thinking up those very questions that leave me staring at the road with my mouth agape and wondering if I am really adequate to be a mother to this child.
I wanted to share just a few of the questions that have fallen in my lap recently: feel free to send me your answers…I will gladly deepen my theological tactics in trying to put them at a six-year-old’s level.

Andrew’s Top Ten List:

Question 1a: Mom, if the world is round, where are all of the upside down people?
2b. When will it be our turn to be upside down?

Question 2: Where do God’s mom and dad live?

Question 3: If God made the sun, why did he not get burned?

Question 4: If God loves everybody…how come everybody doesn’t love God?

Question 5: Did God give angels wings and do you think if I asked nicely, I could have wings too?

Question 6: Why can’t I see heaven right now?

Question 7: Can God see me through the roof of our house? What about now? (Andrew goes under all his bed covers)

Question 8a: Mom! I asked God to make it snow and Look!! (snow starts to fall….seriously!)
8b …one hour later…MOM… I asked God to make it stop snowing and now he’s not listening.
Why is he not listening to me?

Question 9: What does a soul look like?

Question 10: How did Jesus get up on the cross?

Those are just 10 of the numerous onslaught of questioning. I am sure there are more to come. However, his child-like…or perhaps not-so-child-like questions throw you right back into what your belief system is all about. Is God real to me and if so…how real is he? He is as real to Andrew as I am and THAT is something everyone should strive for. God being THAT real, would certainly change the course of our daily activities…sheesh! So, as I clamor and fumble for sound answers I can only pray that my responsibility to answer these questions translate into something real.

"A child can ask questions that a wise man cannot answer." ~Author Unknown

3 comments:

the Jeffr said...

wow. Leyna just asked the question "how did jesus get up on the cross?" this morning :(
"why didn't they just use ropes?" Ugh. These kiddos are too smart.

I also got..."how did i come out of mama?" I told her to ask mama that one!

Anonymous said...

First of I give you kuddos for just remembering all the questions. tell Andrew i had to stop and think of A answer for some of them. I''l just answer # 1 if he can see in his mind a ball big enough for us to live on spining at what 5,000 miles an hour then there a chance he's upside down right now.. lol ed

Amber J said...

haha! Thanks Ed! THAT sounds like an answer that will keep him thinking....I tell ya...they make you really, really think!!!