Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Compassion Part Deux

Ok, so perhaps it was narrow of me to think I could make a general post on how I feel about compassionate people.  Through all of the responses I feel maybe "part 2" was inevitable.  If you look up the word compassion there are several words that fall underneath the umbrella of its meaning.  Forgiveness, love, understanding and sympathy are just a few words that extend out from compassion..or perhaps those are the words that compose it.  
Compassion is certainly a trait that adheres a lot to personality.  Just like some people are more prone to see the logical side of a situation rather than the emotional  Each individual has a unique way of dealing with the world that surrounds them and adapting their internal strengths. 
Some people are blessed with compassion being an innate characteristic that is easily accessible to them.  For others, it is something that has to be adapted.  However, that goes for everything whether it be compassion, common sense, sensitivity and list goes on and on.  
Compassion is one of those traits that encompasses so many avenues of ones character that perhaps one blog about it wasn't enough.  In general and from my point of view (which is the only one that counts cuz this is my blog:) compassion was something that touched me recently and has been a big deal to me in the past few years.   
In earnest, it is something I have had to work on (and still doing so) expanding and stretching to make it more innate and natural.  
I could make several points and get into several characteristics that define compassion, but they would just be words and though I enjoy words, sometimes they don't convey true definition within an emotional context.    So, I will leave compassion in itself alone...and to each person it can be defined differently...to each his own on that one.  I think the concept means a lot to everyone...especially in regard to some of the responses.  So, take it and give it and BA-RING IT!!!! That's all I got...or else I might start rambling( I know, I know.)


3 comments:

ckuretich said...

agree on both parts - compassion is something I admire greatly now, and compassion is something I am actively trying to do. You're right, it IS an action, not a feeling. sometimes if you wait around to do something to help until you "feel compassionate" you'll be waiting forever. Lack of feeling compassion doesn't negate responsibility to be there to help people. Totally.

great posts, good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful. Sometimes its our cicumstances that creates our compassion. As long as we continue to learn...
BTW - I am glad to see you are trying to make it stronger in you...but for the record...I think you are awesome!!!! AND you ARE compassionate...one the bestest!!!!
love ya
Jen

Anonymous said...

Amber, good stuff.
Your thoughts are great on this.
Thanks for posting.
Ryan