Saturday, January 3, 2009

Change....



"Commonplaces never become tiresome. It is we who become tired when we cease to be curious and appreciative." – Norman Rockwell
I am not fond of change. I know I am not alone in my statement as few people really enjoying being purged from their comfort zone. Sometimes change finds us and we have no choice but to roll with it. Friends move, storms knock out your power for five days and other events happen that are completely out of your control. However, then there are the changes that we choose to make. Sometimes THOSE changes are more complicated and more difficult because the choice to remain the same is still there.
Change is imminent. Life offers changes whether you welcome them or not. The choice to make a change is daunting, but it can be cathartic. The idea to stretch in ways that are not comfortable, but beneficial is a tough choice. I like to be comfortable in every aspect. I like physical comfort, spiritual comfort, I even shy away from challenging the epicurean delights in strange food…because …what if I don’t like it? See…comfort.
So, the journey begins. I didn’t make any New Year’s resolutions…not very fond of doing that, but I did decide on a few changes. It won’t be comfortable, but it will be worth it.
When I was talking to a friend of mine I explained that it was sort of like taking the girls I coach through pre-season. They don’t necessarily like it, I push them way beyond their comfort levels and I dig around to find out how far I can stretch them. The process of change throughout those two weeks is not necessarily enjoyable, but ask them when they are standing in a stadium to play one of the biggest games of the year, and they will say it was all worth it.
I am not sure if that is a clear-cut comparison, but it’s what I know and it’s the best I could do on a Saturday morning:)
This past week was good for that. I went to New York City after a five-year hiatus and visited Lake Placid where, sad to say, I had never been before despite its short three-hour car ride. I did however stray from my traditional Starbucks coffee and indulged in a Peppermint Mocha Twist..and loved it! And I don’t even like peppermint that much. It was small step, but still a change…and I’m going to claim it.

5 comments:

the Jeffr said...

Great post, Amber J. Honest, thougthful, well-written. Like you said, growth can only come through change.
I have a quote about change on my blog header: "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen.
Here's to your adventure! I'll be prayin for ya :)

the Jeffr said...

btw, that peppermint mocha at starbucks is GOOD STUFF!

Anonymous said...

Amber,
Thanks. I'm slow to change, but when I do it's usually big! Aunt Darlene:)

Anonymous said...

You rock! I looooove what you wrote;) Christy

Anonymous said...

Yeah -- well I think you are pretty amazing also and change never stops and we get tired trying to fight it and then we get grumpy and then friends don't call and then family just gives you "the look" and then....you change! Mom