Sunday, January 11, 2009

Compassionate People Make My World :)


Human compassion, in my humble opinion, might be one of the most valuable and powerful tools we all possess. Of course, some utilize it more than others do and still some ignore its internal composition while others embrace it.
Since my brother’s accident, compassion is one trait I value in anyone and I try desperately to make it more available from within myself. However, I touch on the subject, because it holds such meaning to me. I watched someone today visit with one of my family members in their hospital room. Though, I love and have a compassion for my own family, this person had no real connection making his effort to show his compassion all the more meaningful. His ability to mold within the situation and make his heart available touched my own heart. He prayed with us, he listened when we spoke and his compassion was truly evident.
When my brother was hurt, there were physical therapists and nurses that showed an energetic compassion that I would dare anyone to try and match. It does seem that the darkness of tragic circumstances perhaps enhances the colors and hues surrounding the light of compassionate efforts. So, it’s a challenge to see if compassion can be found in the every day efforts rather than just the tragic downfalls.
I guess this would mean thinking beyond my own world for a moment. It takes "me" out of the equation and inserts "you". Of course, there always remains the necessary platform of balance, but I have yet to see compassion be overrated. It is very much underrated.
Compassion is a verb. It requires action as small as a smile of encouragement to jumping in to the deep murky waters of friends’ troubles to inconveniencing the convenience of your every day existence. It’s requires some effort to extend beyond what is comfortable to comfort someone else. It may even be actively doing something kind or helpful in such a way that recognition is elusive. Compassion may just simply mean asking how someone’s day was and really caring about their answer :)
It seems like an easy concept to express, especially in regard to accident victims or patients in a hospital bed. Compassion may not be so easily indulged in regard to those who have hurt us or others close to us. We may hold back on our expressive efforts when we know they will go unappreciated or even ignored. Compassion can easily become an unwelcome challenge, but its results are not for us to decide. The action of compassion, well, that is certainly our decision and I don't think we can truly regret a genuine compassionate effort.
So, for those whose compassion has overwhelmed me and defined its nature… at least defined its nature to me, thank you.
OH! AND! For those people who brought Starbucks coffee to the cafeteria hospital in Cooperstown….you are truly compassionate people;) Totally awesome and appreciated.
Ok, and how many times did I use the word "compassion"? sheesh.

2 comments:

the Jeffr said...

Very inspiring and profound words. You've got me itching to post an entry of my own.

Anonymous said...

Compassion is easy to come by for some people and much more difficult for others, which is not an excuse for them but a realization that they must put forth more effort. That simple smile or hug can do more than all the words in the world. Like the hug from the nurse yesterday when she gave the dismal truth of Uncle Gary's condition...and the smiles and hugs from you and Gregg as you made a very difficult visit... thank you and we love you—mom