Thursday, March 17, 2011

Self-promotion...IDK

Ok, so I am so excited about running my own photography biz and I am taking my learning "bumps" as I go.  However, besides organizing orders and bills, I think my least fave part is self-promotion.  I know that might seem contradictory to my nature as a human being, but big difference between outgoing and friendly and promoting myself. Ugh, I even admit it's hard for to me post stuff on facebook to get traffic to what I am doing! This week I was working on a bunch of stuff and I would get a small knot in my stomach when I present something to a business or school.
I was comforted slightly when I saw a business article about marketing for women and men.  The difference...men to really like promoting themselves..ha! not sure how true that is, but women seem to have a hard time.  I can't find the article again or else I would post it, but it was funny.
 I am still working on being a better photographer, but man, telling everyone they should use me...it's like a whirlwind of...not wanting to. wanting to. not wanting to. have to. do i really have to?. yes. ugh. fine.
yup. wish people would just somehow know I exist..ha!  guess it doesn't work like that ;)

3 comments:

CG said...

the tension between promotion and a big ego seems a lil awkward sometimes. You can do it, chica! People are going to be attracted to the marvelous you and the good work you do. After a while, it'll just take care of itself. You are going to do so well!

Anonymous said...

When I was doing wedding videography, I used to hate advertising. I blew so much money on it, & barely got any return. I hate the game. Trying to say things that will cause people to choose you over the next guy. The hard reality is, there are a MILLION photographers these days, so why should someone choose YOU over the other guys? I found the biggest help is recommendations. If you do work for someone, ask them to tell their friends- social networks, whatever. People are much more likely to use a friends recommendation over a complete stranger. And that advertising is free! A good site I like is www.digital-photography-school.com tons of great posts & tips.

Amber J said...

you guys. are. awesome. thx for the encouragement and tips :)!